2/20/2011

Assignment#3: Photo Manipulation Assignment

Before                                         After
#1
Notre-Dame Basilica.

My first photograph is the Notre-Dame Basilica. I took this picture when my girlfriend and I went to Montreal during intersection week last October. When we got inside of church we were impressed by its grandiosity. It was a very unique experience especially for me as a Roman Catholic.

I first adjusted the exposure; +10 and contrast; +40 so that the building generally showed brighter its background. I used those functions to emphasize the building’s features and design as well.
My camera unfortunately failed to capture the scene as the image I imagined in my head when I went to Notre-Dame Basilica. I edited the colours effect through the adjusting function of saturation; +40 and hue; +70 because I wanted to bring out the picture’s colorfulness and give it reality. After editing it became closer to the impression of Notre-Dame Basilica I imagined. The changes that I made may exaggerate the image of the subject but it delivered my inspirations and impression of the Church. I set a radius; 5 and strength; 160 so that it provided a better quality of clearness. I selected Before and After frame which shows two pictures at the same time. By selecting the frame, it clearly showed characters of two pictures with a different idea such as if it was day and night time.



  
Before                                            After
#2
CNE picture.

I chose the second photograph that I took in last September during the Canadian National Exhibition season. We went there during the day and played games until the evening. The time I took a picture was in the evening so the picture doesn’t show our features very well.

I first adjusted exposure; +20 and contrast; +60 which made it a bit brighter than the first photograph because compared with the Notre-Dame picture, the time that I took the photo was different. I used people around us as an artistic effect. By blurring the background, our features became more prominent. Also I edited photograph colours by changing hue; +80 and saturation; 10 so that the picture expressed the feeling of movement. Also the photograph became more colourful and clear making the picture seem more realistic. Besides it provided my girlfriend’s facial expression to be more vivid as well. I set a radius; 5.5 and strength; 170 to make the picture more clear. Usually when pictures are taken of people or animals in the evening, their eyes turn red. Most photo editing programs provide a removal of red eyes function. I used it too. Same as the first photograph, I selected Before and After frame. The reason why I chose this frame was to express a different atmosphere even though it is the same picture.

All pictures were taken by me.
I used Picnik found through Google:

No comments:

Post a Comment